Monday, January 25, 2010

There Will Be Blood (Superbowl Predictions)

Oh, yes, there will be blood.

Given the enormity of this year's Superbowl game, I thought I might post my prediction for the game. So here it is:

Win, lose, or draw, there is going to be a riot in New Orleans.

Already there have been murmurings of how N'arlins "deserves" to win the Superbowl in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and the destruction that was wrought upon the city. That the good people there are still suffering from the devastation wrought upon them by the storm makes it incumbent upon natural justice to alleviate their suffering by that most glorious of human victories: the Superbowl.

With a victory at the Big Game, the people of New Orleans will have their pride restored, their self-esteem returned, and never again will they be questioned for having built their homes in a flood plain.

Unfortunately, I predict that most of the rebuilding that has occurred since the hurricane will be undone by pseudo-football fans, whether they be jubilant or crestfallen, as they roam the streets of the Big Easy smashing windows, setting fires, and flipping cars.

I burned a Chevy on the levy, but the levy was dry.

Once it was clear that the Patriots had little chance at returning to the Superbowl (a fact that became obvious in week 12 after the Pats had lost to both the Colts and the Saints), I began to root anyone who was not Peyton Manning and the Colts. Heck, I was even a Jets fan there for a while. (Imagine that!) In my estimation, if Peyton Manning wins the Superbowl this year, it moves him up to a level equal to Tom Brady and the Patriots, a reality I'm not quite sure I'm ready to face. But if Peyton fails, as I hope he will, it will forever seal him as the whiny poser that I'd prefer to think of him as.

This being said, I don't see the Saints being up to the task of beating him. Brett Farve and the Vikings, yes, they might have; however, I don't believe the Saints have the weapons they need to stop the Colts. Contrariwise, I believe the Colts defense is quite capable of getting to Drew Brees. (Sadly.)

Thus, though it pains me to say so, I expect a 35 to 28 Indianapolis Colts victory, and yet another painful off-season for me as I murmur the name "Manning" under my breath and dream of yester-years of the Patriot's Dynasty.

Those are my thoughts. I'd love to hear yours.

No comments: