Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Security Words

Since it was a popular post the last time I did this, I've decided to do it again.

Many websites that allow readers to post comments require you to prove you're a real person (as opposed to a "bot"). To do so, you are asked to type a string of seemingly characters into a text field. I will bet that you always assumed that these were nonesense words that were made up on the fly, right? Well, we here in Upham Manor pride ourselves on educating the public to what these words mean. What follows are some of the security words I encountered recently and their true meanings.

faingli - (n.) The loose and drooping skin of the eyelids that does not fully retract when the eyes are open.
"Man, if it wasn't for his eyelashes holding his faingli up, he wouldn't be able to see at all."

urrigi - (n.) The remaining 8 to 14 macaroni at the bottom of the serving bowl at the end of a meal that no one has room enough to eat.

ancleta - (n.) The highly irritating and very distracting bit of spittle that develops on the lower lip and/or in the corners of a speaker's mouth that causes the listener to think of nothing else than wiping that person's mouth for them.

shnomb
- (v.) To increase the perceived size of one's person by means of spreading the legs, extending the shoulders, stiffening the elbows, etc.
- (n.) A person who does so on the T to discourage people from taking the vacant seat next to them.
"I got shnombed right out of my seat at Copley Station."

propon

- (v.) To quietly assert oneself for the purpose of self-gain while pretending not to care.
- (n.) A person who, by means of subtle positioning, aligns himself along a subway platform where he believes the train's doors will open and then quickly injects himself into the car to gain the most desirable available seat.


Those are my offerings. Do you have any of your own you care to share?

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosyn: The irresistible need to be the first to relate bad news. "She reached for her I-phone, filled with gosyn as she texted her friend about the ten car pile up she had just passed on 93 North."
cc

Michelle said...

I am literally crying over your "faingli" definition and use in a sentence. I have NO idea why I find that so amusing, but I now have the most uncontrollable giggles!

My word contribution is "euvica" - the moment where one realizes that it is the end of the day on Friday and that there is no work requirement for at least 48 hours.

"She experienced her weekly euvica with a grin on her face and bounded out of the office."

Yeah, OK, not as pant-wettingly funny as yours, but I'll work on it!